I found my first gray hair today. Thankfully, it was on my head or I would be mentally curled up in the fetal position saying, “Nevermore” in a monotone. Why? Because that’s probably how I’ll end up once my insanity catches up with me.
That little dickens of a gray hair got me to thinking about age and all the baggage that we attach to it. I realized that when I was younger (really?) I had more expectations for age than I do now. When I was fifteen, for example, I thought I would be living on my own by twenty-two and working in a profession I enjoyed; I thought I would have it all figured out. However, at the ripe age of twenty-two, I still live at home, my job is no where near the profession I want to do, I have college debt the size of New Zealand, and I am no closer to having it “all figured out” than I did at fifteen. Also, a fifty year old man hit on me at a bar. That’s the closest thing I’ve had to a date in three years. Sad? I know.
Anyway, I’ve realized that no matter how old/young you are, there are things that you are never too old/young for. Here’s my list:
1) You are never too old to have a dream for “when you grow up”.
2) You are never too young to want more from life.
3) You are never too old to break the speed limit and blast Usher while doing so. (Thank you, little old woman who passed me on Okeechobee.)
4) You are never too young to be told, “You’re too old for that.”
5) You are never too old to enjoy bounce houses.
6) You are never too young to own orthopedic shoes. (Yes, I own orthopedic shoes and my toesies are delighted.)
7) You are never too old to want to watch a Disney movie.
8) You are never too young to sing “Respect” by Aretha Franklin.
9) You are never too old to get excited when a trailer for Megamind is on tv.
10) You are never too young to want to be included with the “old people”
11) You are never too old picture yourself as the star of an action movie.
12) You are never too young to find your passion in life.
13) You are never too old.
What are some things that you think you’re never too old/young for?